Sorry I haven't been keeping this up as regularly as I intended it. We have been having some face to face conversations in our efforts at "porch church" (though not on the porch currently).
I've been helping out at this pastors gathering once a month because a friend (pastor) asked me to. It's a neat chance to connect with key leaders in our neighborhood which is why I go. This past Thursday I sat in on the prayer time, which I've usually found some way to avoid in the past I guess. Anyways, we sat around praying and all I could think about was the many more productive things we could be doing with our time.
Now, don't get me wrong, as a personal practice, and even collective, some people can find prayer therapeutic or encouraging, or any number of things. And most people believe prayer actually does something, is powerful, has an impact.
But, I've had an increasingly difficult time praying. I think my reaction to prayer and songs (worship) are probably the most clear insight into my spiritual struggles currently. I just don't see either of them as being of any use or benefit. Where does that leave me...
Prayer as a waste of time
About this entry
Youre currently reading Prayer as a waste of time.
- Published:
- at 5:11 AM on Tuesday, November 17, 2009
- Previous:
- Older Post
- Next:
- Newer Post
-
November 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Prayer and worship songs aren't of any use or benefit. At least not by themselves. I think you're right though...your (and my) reaction to these things is more an indication of the status of our relationship with God than anything else.
Not sure if you believe in God or not sure if you have/can have a relationship with Him like that? Well, then yeah, what's the point?
And maybe this is what you're getting at, but none of these things matter until you figure out your relationship to God. Until we have a working understanding of who God is (and I believe it's never gonna be a perfect understanding so it will always be working) ...nothing else is really important.
Does the church reflect and serve God well? That depends on who you think God is, how He works, etc. Is your lifestyle God-honoring, and does it matter if it is God-honoring or not? That depends on who God is.
I know you know all this stuff...it's not like you probably haven't said the same things to others before. So I guess what I'm doing is posing these questions and thoughts to try to see where you're going with this.
In my mind prayer and what you think about it can only be answered with by referencing who the prayer is for. -
February 20, 2010 at 4:23 AM
Thanks Joel. Looking at that again, that was a pretty pessimistic post. I don't mean to negate the importance of those acts for those who believe and have a connected relationship with God. If I felt prayer and song were was I could relate to and connect with God, then I guess they'd make perfect sense to me.
Yeah, what you figured out and what I think I was really feeling, is that I feel my reaction to these things is a strong indicator of my silent relationship with God.
I think I do believe in God, haven't found a good reason not to, but this feeling of silence of spiritual emptiness has been there for so long, it's I think got me asking about whether or not I believe in God, "What's the point."
Let me answer your questions to help carry the discussion:
Does the church reflect and serve God well?
I don't think it does, at least I haven't found a church (collective body of believers) that I feel does. Which is why I found song times empty even before I started doubting them myself. I wish I could find a church that was a reflection of God, evidence of God, but I haven't.
Is your lifestyle God-honoring, and does it matter if it is God-honoring or not?
I think my lifestyle is God-honoring, and I don't plan on changing that, but I struggle with whether it really matters (if it's God honoring or not). Most Christians I've interacted with my whole life would tell me that it has nothing to do with your lifestyle, but what you choose to acknowledge with your heart and lips. And I've generally believed that. But now here I am: I don't like to pray or sing worship songs, I'm not rejecting God or Jesus or anything, but I'd have a hard time making an honest verbal confession of the basic tenants of Christianity.
Most would say if I can't make that verbal confession, it doesn't matter who "God-honoring" my life is.
2 comments: